Friday 22 February 2013

Something for the weekend.

Another week over, I love signing out of work on a Friday knowing that I have a whole weekend to look forward to, even if I have nothing special planned it's great knowing that I can just relax and do something crafty.  Even better if I can complete a project then I feel that I have achieved something.  My weekends are usually used for finishing off my wips or making something small.

Remember that red wool? well I untangled it and used it to make this little hat.



Super cute, quick, easy to make, cosy and warm.  The perfect weekend project.

I used Aran weight yarn and a 5.5mm hook 

Yarn used - 68 grams

The free pattern can be found  here

The problem with using little bits of yarn is you never know if there will be enough to finish the project, that's why I like to weigh my projects and keep a record of much it took then if I want to make it again I will know how much I need.  I know it sounds like a chore but when you are stash busting believe me it saves a lot of anguish.  How many times have you nearly finished something only to run out a couple of rows before the end.
Take my advice buy some digital scales and start weighing, this way you can keep a track of exactly how much stash you have busted too.

Another problem can arise when you have odd balls of yarn and are not sure what yarn weight they are, here is a chart I have found to be very useful and quite accurate.

For all Stash-busters! We are nearly at the end of February already so if you would like your projects displayed in the February stash-buster gallery now is the time to finish them off and post them on your blog, I will be visiting you all and collecting your February masterpieces for the February review next Thursday.

Please leave your totals by Wednesday if you are counting :)

Hope you all have a lovely weekend !

22 comments:

  1. That red hat is great! Hats are a great stash-buster. Thanks for the link to the pattern. Also thank you for the link to the yarn weight chart. I printed it and put it in my "binder" full of crochet and yarn stuff. :-)

    You have a lot of participants and wow, what a labor of love to post about everyone's projects.

    Have a WWIPW! (Wonderful WIP Weekend)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Astri, I'm sure you will find the chart useful :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely little hat Linda! That red yarn was perfect for it :) Elisabeth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, I love working with red :)

      Delete
  3. Cute hat and lovely colour. I like to weigh my projects too, especially because yarn is sold in grams here. Have a great weekend. Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Hello! Linda. My name is Dari, and I would like to join the Stash Buster Challenge. My blog site is daris-corner.blogspot.com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the challenge Dari, I will add you to the list :)

      Delete
  5. Super cute hat Linda! Great that you are weighing the stash and the end product. Its like when you are in the weight loss program and they weigh you before and after and the after weight makes you smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rajeswari yes you are right I suppose it is haha

      Delete
  6. Every time I visit you've whipped up a whole new project! Are your needles and hooks ever still?! I'm chugging away during scattered (brief) free times on my stash busting, and will now put a push this evening to make a slightly bigger dent in the yarn for next week's post :) Thanks for the reminder!! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very rarely Wendy I hate to sit doing nothing :)

      Delete
  7. Very cute little hat, and good advice about weighing projects.

    Enjoy your weekend Linda, and crochet your heart out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely hat and a great idea about the digital scales. I have been slowly coming around to that idea. This weekend I am using up some chunky yarn and keeping my fingers crossed that I have enough to finish some hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Una love the little hat you have made too. :)

      Delete
  9. Your needles and hooks must be hot with all the hard work of using up your stash - I love the
    hat it looks so snuggley x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it's not nice if there isn't enough yarn for a project or you just think there isn't enough. For the baby hoodie I had to look for a matching yarn and am now very pleased with the result. Have a nice and crafty weekend. Regula

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice hat - and red is my favourite.
    Great idea those scales, will have to look into some soon.
    I'm aiming for some finishes today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing your projects Mistea :)

      Delete
  12. There's an award for you over on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx